SHOP THE POST
Happy New Year guys! I am SO excited to start this WHOLE30 journey with you all. Heather from My Life Well Loved and I introduced #Whole30Jan on Friday. We filmed a Facebook Live (click to see replay) and an Instagram Live to answer questions, provide tips and pearls, and kick off this little 30 day adventure. Make sure you join the Life Lutzurious Facebook Group, where I will be sharing Whole30 tips, recipes, ideas, successes, etc. It will be great to have a community of all of us doing this together. Feel free to post your recipe ideas, questions, success stories, vent sessions (ha), or really anything fashion, style, mom, fitness, travel, etc related.
As we embark on this adventure, please stay in touch via Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, and Snapchat, so we can hold each other accountable and have lot’s of fun! Here’s to kicking off the new year feeling refreshed, happy, and healthy!
WHOLE 30 .. WHAT IS IT EXACTLY?
From the Whole30 website…this blurb explains the program perfectly:
“Certain food groups (like sugar, grains, dairy and legumes) could be having a negative impact on your health and fitness without you even realizing it. Are your energy levels inconsistent or non-existent? Do you have aches and pains that can’t be explained by over-use or injury? Are you having a hard time losing weight no matter how hard you try? Do you have some sort of condition (like skin issues, digestive ailments, seasonal allergies or fertility issues) that medication hasn’t helped? These symptoms may be directly related to the foods you eat – even the “healthy” stuff. So how do you know if (and how) these foods are affecting you?
Strip them from your diet completely. Cut out all the psychologically unhealthy, hormone-unbalancing, gut-disrupting, inflammatory food groups for a full 30 days. Let your body heal and recover from whatever effects those foods may be causing. Push the “reset” button with your metabolism, systemic inflammation, and the downstream effects of the food choices you’ve been making. Learn once and for all how the foods you’ve been eating are actually affecting your day to day life, and your long term health. The most important reason to keep reading?
This will change your life.
We cannot possibly put enough emphasis on this simple fact—the next 30 days will change your life. It will change the way you think about food, it will change your tastes, it will change your habits and your cravings. It could, quite possibly, change the emotional relationship you have with food, and with your body. It has the potential to change the way you eat for the rest of your life. We know this because we did it, and tens of thousands of people have done it since, and it changed our lives (and their lives) in a very permanent fashion. (Need convincing? Just read some of our stunning testimonials.)”
WHOLE 30 // TIPS
- Meal Planning: Sundays are my favorite day for this!
- Plan out meals for the week
- Grocery shop ahead of time
- Prep your food (wash, chop, and organize)
- Cook if you have limited time during the week
- VERY IMPORTANT: Make sure you READ LABELS. If you are unsure about a food, check the label and apply the Whole30 rules.
- Accountability // Communication
- Participate with a friend or group (Join the Life Lutzurious Facebook Group to join a fun group to stay motivated!)
- Make sure your spouse, friends, family, co-workers, etc understand what you are doing, so they can support rather than derail.
- If you slip up, don’t give up! Call a friend, write in your journal, and start over the next meal!
- Stay OFF the Scale // Other Ideas to monitor progress
- Measure before, during, and after
- Take note of how your clothes fit
- Take before and after pictures
- Keep It Simple
- Recipes are fun, but sometimes it’s easier to cook a lean protein and veggies
- Clean out your pantry to avoid a slip!
- Utilize a food delivery service OR a grocery shopping service, such as Shipt (use this link for $10 off!)
- Make It Fun!
- AVOID thinking about the foods you CAN’T eat and FOCUS on the foods you CAN eat.
- Reward yourself with small prizes throughout your journey
- Do it with a partner!
WHOLE 30 // SHOPPING LIST
WHOLE 30 // MEAL IDEAS
Recipes are a LOT of fun to make, BUT they are also very time consuming. Each Sunday, I will provide my “Whole 30 Recipe of the Week” to give you guys some inspiration for the week ahead. HOWEVER, do you want to know what makes my diet so successful? I keep it simple. Think meat + veggies or simple crock pot meals. We also double our portions, so we typically make 2 dinners and 2 lunches out of one “meal”. Make sure you are following my Whole 30 // Pinterest Board for tons of recipes and resources.
Here is a typical day for me:
BREAKFAST: 2 eggs, half an avocado, small handful of berries, coffee
SNACK: RX Bar (these are CRUCIAL)
DINNER: 5 ounces of salmon, steamed veggies (try broccoli, red onions, garlic, and mushrooms with some salt, pepper, and turmeric), and a sweet potato
WHOLE 30 // Kitchen Tools
- 3 Tier Steamer Set (water in the bottom, protein in the middle, veggie on top…cook for 7-12 min, depending on the meat, and VOILA!)
- Blender (I love our Vitamix, but the Ninja is a less expensive option)
- Slow Cooker (love this budget friendlier Crock Pot option)
- Glass tupperware for food prep/storage
- Fun Water Bottle
- Freezer Lunch Bag
- Silicone Egg Cups
WHOLE 30 // Recipe of the Week: Lindsey’s Fabulous Frittata
I absolutely LOVE this frittata. It makes a TON of food that can really be eaten for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It really will last an entire week. It is super clean but also very filling. Enjoy!
-1 medium tomato
-1 small bell pepper
-1 jalapeno (remove the seeds)
-handfull of mushrooms
-1 small yellow or Vidalia onion
-1-2 tbs coconut milk
-bacon to put on top
-1 clove garlic
-1 cup of spinach finely chopped
-basil for garnish
-basil chiffonade for garnish
-salt, pepper, and hot sauce to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Chop the veggies (I typically use a food processor)
- Salute the onion and garlic in olive oil
- Then, add in the rest of the chopped veggies, adding the tomatoes, mushrooms, and spinach LAST.
- Add salt, pepper, and hot sauce to taste.
- While this is cooking, whisk the eggs with coconut milk, salt, pepper, and hot sauce.
- Once the veggies are done sautéing, add the egg mixture into the pan (cast iron or oven-safe pan)
- Let this cook until the edges start to look done.
- Once this happens, bake in the oven at 350 for 12-15 minutes. It will start fluffing up when it is close to being ready.
- The last 2 minutes, I switch to broil.
- Once it’s done, top with bacon and basil chiffonade and SERVE with a side of fresh blueberries.
WHOLE 30 // RESOURCES
- Original Whole30 book: I HIGHLY recommend you read this.
- Life Lutzurious Whole 30 Pinterest Page
- Life Lutzurious Facebook Group
- Instagram, following hashtags #Whole30Jan, #Whole30, #Whole30approved, #whole30recipes
- I LOVE these single serving Whole30 recipe ideas
WHOLE 30 // BLOGGERS