Happy Friday, babes! I hope everyone had a great week and is ready to say PEACE OUT! You guys are in luck, because I was willing to put my body through the ringer again JUST FOR YOU ALL (I mean, someone has to do it!), to debunk some misconceptions about another popular beauty procedure: lip fillers. Last time, I told you all about Botox (you can read my post HERE), and this time, it’s dermal fillers.
Now, I know exactly what you are thinking. Oh Lord, what did she do to her face? Does she look like a duck? WHYYYYYYYYYY? But trust me, not all fillers are created equally, and like Botox, there IS a science to these types of injections. So, for this week’s edition of the LUTZ LIST, here are 5 myths about fillers that I addressed with Dr. Melanie Petro.
MYTHS ABOUT DERMAL FILLERS
- Duck Face: I get it. These people look RIDICULOUS. I look at them and think “why in the world do you think this looks good?” Trust me, this is the very small majority of people that get fillers. The brand that we used is called Volbella, which is designed to plump the lips and minimize the appearance of fine lines around the mouth. This temporary filler is made of Hyaluronic Acid (hey, that’s what’s in the knee injections I sell) and does not require a skin test before your injections. The smaller Hylauronic Acid particle size in Volbella allows your cosmetic injector to treat fine lines without getting a full look in these delicate areas.
- It will hurt: This is the honest to God truth…it DOESN’T HURT! Bikini waxes, stumping your toe, even getting your finger pricked are all worse than this. The procedure is so quick, but just imagine a little sting from a TINY needle.
- I will look like Kylie Jenner: Ha, NOT NECESSARILY, unless you want to of course. In most cases, women opt for fillers to create symmetry with their lips, correct a crooked smile, or simply add a tiny bit of volume. In my case, my upper lip was so much smaller than my lower lip. I wanted it to be oh so, not so noticeable (more on this in a bit). Some girls want those overly plumped, Kylie Jenner lips, which is totally fine. I did not, so make sure you communicate exactly what you want with your physician. And goodness, while on that subject, PLEASE do your research you guys. These injections are an ART. If it is on sale or cheap or too good to be true, it PROBABLY IS! Be smart, ladies.
- My husband will know: This is actually my FAVORITE MYTH! After I got my fillers, later that night my husband said “you look really pretty today…is something different?” Well, obviously, FIRST, I wanted to slap him because of how he worded his compliment (only women think that way, amirite?). But more importantly, I accomplished my goal. He noticed something was different, but he didn’t notice that my lips were plumper. Great Botox and great fillers are very similar in this regard: people rarely notice you have gotten these procedures done. That is the goal, people. The goal is NOT to look like Kylie Jenner.
- Down Time: Ok, yes, traditional fillers typically have a longer down time. I have never had another brand of filler, but from my experience with Volbella, it was less than 24 hours. You notice the change instantly, which is nice, because this will help you and your physician decide if you want more or less. Overnight, I would try to sleep slightly upright, but we all know this isn’t necessarily possible. I just want to sleep, y’all. I did wake up with a plumpier, more Kylie Jenner look. Honestly, I kinda liked for the 3 hours it was there. However, it settled down to normal over the next few hours, and VOILA!
**DISCLAIMER: Y’all, I am not a physician nor an expert, so PLEASE MAKE SURE you 1) do your research 2) consult a physician and 3) make the decision that is best for YOU.**
So, first of all, if you have questions…please feel free to email me or leave a comment on this post. I will respond! Second, if you live near Birmingham, AL, you are in luck! Petro Facial Plastic Surgery & MedSpa and I are giving away a Volbella treatment, valued at $500!! How do I enter? There are 3 easy steps! Just follow the Rafflecopter below or head to Instagram and look for the picture at the beginning of the post. Want to stay up to date on these types of giveaways? Make sure you join the Life Lutzurious VIP list. Oh, and you may or may not receive a freebie when you sign up. Happy weekend, y’all!